ARA 40th logo

Facts On Mental Illness

A Few Facts on Mental Illness in Canada

Mental illnesses touch the lives of all Canadians, exerting a major effect on relationships, education, productivity and overall quality of life. Approximately 20% of individuals will experience a mental illness during their lifetime, and the remaining 80% will be affected by an illness in family members, friends or colleagues. With sufficient attention and resources, much can be done to improve the lives of people living with mental illness.


Mental Health Awareness

  • Mental illnesses indirectly affect all Canadians through illness in a family member, friend or colleague.
  • Twenty percent of Canadians will personally experience a mental illness during their lifetime.
  • Mental illness affect people of all ages, education, income levels, and cultures.
  • The onset of most mental illnesses occurs during adolescence and young adulthood.
  • A complex interplay of genetic, biological, personality and environmental factors causes mental illness.
  • Mental illnesses can be treated effectively.
  • 86% of hospitalizations for mental illness in Canada occur in general hospitals.
  • Stigma attached to mental illnesses presents a serious barrier not only to diagnosis and treatment but also acceptance in the community.